In partnership with
A Mature driver appraisal is a pilot scheme working with Leeds Older People’s Forum, funded by the Road Safety Trust and part of Leeds City Council’s Vision Zero. This is to support driver’s confidence and to keep people driving safely for longer.
A Mature driver appraisal includes:
- An informal review of your driving skills
- Time with an approved driving instructor
- Using your own car
- Routes that are familiar to you
- Up to date road safety tips
- Advice on adapting your vehicle
- The confidence to keep driving safely for longer
The mature driver appraisal is aimed at people, living in Leeds (LS postcode).
A Mature Driver Appraisal is £49.00
Please complete a referral form by clicking the button at the top of the page. Our team will read through your application and ensure there are no medical conditions that would effect your driving and give you a date for appraisal.
Please make sure that your car is in a good state of repair with a valid MOT and Insurance. please also make sure that you have a valid driving licence and are confident that your eyesight meets the standard to drive. This is, that you are able to read a number plate up to 25 meters.
This appraisal is not a review of your medical fitness to drive and is not a second opinion. Should you have a diagnosed medical condition which may impact on your fitness to drive, we would recommend you attend an assessment, please see our driver assessment page.
Please be aware that this is not a second opinion on a fitness to drive assessment.
- The appointment will consist of a short interview and some vehicle checks of your car to ensure it is road legal.
- Before your appraisal you will be asked to read a number plate at least 20.5m in the distance.
- Following instruction from the driving instructor, you will be asked to demonstrate your driving ability on the road in your vehicle. This is following your normal routes where you will be asked to go to your local supermarket and park. You will then be asked to follow an unfamiliar route home.
- The whole appraisal process should take no longer than 1 and half hours.
In some circumstances the driving instructor may ask you to demonstrate your skills in a William Merritt Centre vehicle before using your own car.
The driving instructor will discuss with you about the appraisal and give their feedback. You will receive a copy of your report on the day.
What should I expect on my Mature Driver Appraisal?
The approved driving instructor will arrive at your home address and go through some details of your driving history. They will also check you have a valid driving licence, insurance, tax and valid MOT of your vehicle. We recommend that you have had an eyesight test within two years and you will be asked to read a number place up to 25meters to check this.
You will be asked to follow your normal driving routes and also go to a supermarket and park.
The full appraisal should not take longer than 1 and a half hours.
What should I have ready for my appraisal?
You are welcome to have someone with you on your driving appraisal in your own vehicle.
- Your valid driving licence. This is important as, unfortunately, the appraisal cannot go ahead without it.
- List of your current medication – this can be a repeat prescription.
- Your vehicle in a good state of repair.
- Valid insurance.
- Valid tax and MOT.
- If applicable, any glasses that you need/use for driving.
What is the difference between a Mature Driver Appraisal and a Driver Assessment?
A mature driver appraisal is for those wanting to confirm they are a satisfactory level of driving and is an optional process, where as a driver assessment looks at medical fitness to drive and adaptations that will support your medical condition. A driver assessment is a clinical assessment and can be referred by a medical professional such as a GP or part of a medical investigation by the DVLA.
On a mature driver appraisal you will be in your own vehicle and driving on familiar routes.
Is there an age restriction?
There are no age restrictions, however this appraisal is suggested to keep people driving for longer in older age. We would be happy to see anyone of any age for a driving appraisal.